As much as everyone here at Rancho Cal Insurance Services loves to talk about car insurance, home insurance, and business insurance, we also like to give you information on how to take care of your car and home and RV. We’ll discuss the all important car battery in this post, but be sure to check out our other blog posts about insurance topics, home maintenance, RV maintenance, and insurance discounts.
We’ve got some great tips for you to help you extend the life of your car battery. A car battery can last anywhere from 2 to 5 years, and there are things that you can do to make your car battery last as long as possible. The simple act of starting your car requires a good car battery, so let’s learn how to take care of this vital part of your car and extend the life of your car battery.
Tips to Prolong the Life of Your Car Battery
- Don’t use features while the car is off. Yes, this means don’t have the headlights, radio, or anything else charging while the car is off. These things can drain your car battery.
- Turn off your lights. Interior lights & headlights that are left on after you exit the car will drain your car battery.
- Drive your car. If you leave your car parked for long periods of time, it will drain your car battery.
- Keep the battery terminals clean. Avoid corrosion by keeping the terminals clean & this will allow your car battery to function properly.
- Park in a garage. We know it’s not always possible, but if you have a choice garage parking is better for your car battery, especially in severe weather.
- Have the car battery checked regularly. Ask your mechanic to check the car battery for you at every oil change.
- Short car trips may not allow the car battery to fully charge. Having a portable car battery charger may be a great idea.
Signs That You May Need a New Car Battery
- Your engine is slow to start or won’t start.
- Your lights flicker or seem dimmer.
- The check engine light is on.
- You have corroded car battery connectors.
- You don’t recall the last time you replaced your car battery. It may be time for a new car battery since they only last 2 to 5 years. Have it checked by your mechanic.
Taking care of your car is important and we want to help. From car insurance to simple maintenance tips, Rancho Cal Insurance Services is on your side and ready to help. We don’t want you to get stranded with a car that won’t start, so remember these tips to help you keep your car battery running smoothly for as long as possible. If you find yourself needing car insurance, give us a call, we are happy to help you with that too. Rancho Cal Insurance Services can help you with home insurance, car insurance, and business insurance. We’ve been helping our friends and neighbors in Temecula, Murrieta, Menifee, Winchester and all over California for many years. Offering free quotes and many insurance companies to choose from, give us a call and see if we can help you to save some money on your insurance needs.