Planning for a disaster, before it happens, is an important way to prepare yourself and your family for a potential emergency such as a fire, earthquake, flood, or some other unforeseen event. Emergency preparedness for kids is a way to give your children the knowledge and tools to use before an emergency strikes. It’s the best way to keep them safe and give them the confidence to help themselves or to provide help to another friend or family member when necessary.
Everyone should have a disaster plan in place. Large venues, businesses, and schools often have a disaster plan in place. But what about your family? Does everyone in your family know who to call for help, or where the emergency supplies or kept, or where to seek shelter during an earthquake, or how to evacuate in case of a house fire? If you haven’t yet developed an emergency preparedness plan for kids and your family, we’ve got some great resources for you to check out and some disaster planning tips for you.
Emergency Preparedness for Kids. Let’s Get Started:
- Gather your emergency supplies: Water, food, first aid kit, flashlights & batteries, clothing, cash, medications, blankets, etc.
- Prepare an emergency kit for your pets: Water, food, leash, collar, crate, pet bed, etc.
- Make a list of emergency phone numbers. Teach your kids when it’s appropriate to call 911.
- Practice a fire drill at your home.
- Practice an earthquake drill at your home.
- Keep emergency supplies in your car too.
- Learn CPR.
- See our list of resources below to help you plan. We love the ready.gov/kids website!
Emergency Preparedness for Kids. Resources:
Being prepared for an emergency is a simple thing that you can do today to help you manage a crisis when it occurs. With a little planning beforehand and emergency preparedness for kids and your family, everyone will be better able to cope with an emergency event. The resources we’ve mentioned here will help you to teach your children valuable safety lessons and will ensure that your family is prepared for an emergency.
Rancho Cal Insurance Services is encouraging everyone to implement these emergency preparedness for kids ideas and strategies so that everyone can be prepared when an emergency event occurs. Keeping families safe is important to us. We’ve been helping our friends and neighbors in Temecula, Murrieta, Winchester, Menifee and throughout California for many years. Give us a call whenever you need help with your auto, home, or business insurance. It’s what we do, and we are happy to help you.