Summer is the perfect time for outdoor grilling! Rancho Cal Insurance Services wants you to enjoy your summer cook-outs safely so we’ve compiled a list of Grilling Safety Tips for you. Review the list, clean your grill, gather your ingredients and enjoy your Summer BBQ. Let’s get you ready for BBQ season with these important Grilling Safety Tips.
Grilling Safety Tips
- If you are using a propane grill, check for leaks before using. Apply a light soap & water solution to the propane hose. A propane leak will cause bubbles to appear & you may even be able to smell the propane leak. Get this repaired before using your grill.
- Place the grill at least 10 feet away from any structure or over-hanging trees.
- Keep children and pets at least 3 feet away from the grill area.
- Use a meat thermometer to make sure the meat is cooked to the correct temperature and avoid food poisoning.
- Be ready to put out a fire. Baking soda works well on grease fires, but you should also have a fire extinguisher ready.
- Make sure the lid is open before lighting a propane grill.
- If you are using a charcoal grill, be sure to select the correct lighter fluid and use it sparingly and according to the directions.
- Never, never leave the grill unattended.
- If you smell gas while you’re cooking, turn off the grill and propane. If you’re not sure where the smell is coming from, immediately step away from the grill and call 911.
- When you are done with the grill, scrape off any grease or residue.
- When you are done with a charcoal grill, make sure the coals are completely cool before disposing of them in a metal container.
With a little bit of preparation and following these Grilling Safety Tips, you are bound to have a safe & fun grilling season. Get your fire extinguisher now if you don’t already have one. It’s great to have this all year round for the safety of your home, just be sure you know how to use it correctly. Grilling Safety Tips are easy to follow and will keep you and your family safe while you enjoy your outdoor BBQ. From Grilling Safety Tips to car & home insurance, Rancho Cal Insurance Services is here to help & make things easy for you.