Your home is an important investment you want to protect and take care of, and we want to help you with that. As a homeowner, regular maintenance and care of your home is essential to prevent damage to your property and possibly a home insurance claim. It’s always better to prevent a problem, rather than deal with the frustrations that come with home repairs and a home insurance claim. Are there things you can do as a homeowner for home insurance claim prevention? Yes, absolutely! Some simple maintenance items will help to protect your home, family, and belongings from a potential serious loss and a home insurance claim.
Since fire and water damage are the two most common types of home insurance claims, lets take a look at what you can do to prevent this type of damage to your home.
- Smoke Detectors! Make sure you have these installed throughout your home, including all bedrooms, and check the batteries to make sure they are working. More information on smoke detectors can be found here: https://www.nfpa.org/Public-Education/Staying-safe/Safety-equipment/Smoke-alarms/Installing-and-maintaining-smoke-alarms
- Keep a fire extinguisher in your home, and know how to use it. Be sure to teach your kids how to use it too! Have it inspected once per year.
- Using portable space heaters? Be extra cautious and keep flammable items (curtains, paper, furniture, etc) away from them.
- Keep your chimney clean & have it inspected regularly.
- Don’t overload your wall outlets and don’t use items with frayed electrical cords.
- Keep trees & bushes trimmed away from the home. Don’t let tree branches overhang or touch the roof.
- Check your appliance hoses at least once per year, and replace as needed.
- Check your showers, tubs, and sinks and make sure they are properly sealed.
- Do you know where your main water shutoff valve is located? If not, find out today! You’ll want to turn this valve off if a pipe bursts or leaks in your home. More information on Water Loss Prevention Tips can be found here: https://www.ranchocalinsurance.com/water-loss-prevention-tips/
- Consider installing a Water Leak Detection Device in your home.
- Inspect your roof: Any missing shingles or damaged areas? Get them repaired right away.
Following these tips and keeping your home well maintained will go a long way in preventing damage & losses to your home. Of course, things may happen that we can’t predict and you may experience a loss to your home from fire, water damage or something else. If this does happen to you, you’ll want to have a good home insurance policy already in force. Rancho Cal Insurance Services is here to help homeowners in Temecula, Murrieta, Menifee, Winchester, and throughout California find a great home insurance policy for their home. Give us a call today, we are happy to help you.