We want to make it easy for you to understand your home insurance policy. We’ve listed 6 common insurance terms and explained what they mean. Whether you are insuring your home in Murrieta, Temecula, Menifee, or anywhere in California, we can help.
A home insurance policy is basically broken down into 6 main categories of coverage. Understanding these 6 home insurance coverage items will help you to understand what is covered in your home insurance policy. These same 6 items apply to your home insurance, whether your are in Murrieta, Temecula, Winchester, Menifee, or Hemet.
- Coverage A, Dwelling coverage: This is the part of the policy that covers the structure of your home. Be sure that your home has been described accurately in the policy (Year Built, Square Footage, Garage Size, Floor Coverings, etc). This is the Reconstruction Cost of the home, it is not the Market Value of your home. *It’s always a good idea to have Additional Replacement Cost added to your policy, if it is available.
- Coverage B, Other Structures: This covers structures not attached to your home. An example would be a detached garage, gazebo, or shed.
- Coverage C, Contents (Personal Property): This covers clothing, furniture, and other personal belongings. There may be sub-limits applied for jewelry, silverware, furs, weapons, and other items. *If you need additional coverage for these types of items you can increase the sub-limits or get a special endorsement called a “floater”. Note: this does not cover your automobiles.
- Coverage D, Loss of Use: If your home is damaged by a covered event, and you can’t live in it while it is being repaired, this coverage will apply. It covers additional living expenses like rent and food while you are displaced from your home.
- Coverage E, Personal Liability: This coverage will pay for damages or bodily injury that you’ve caused to someone else, up to your policy limits. This includes your dog biting someone else (unless animal liability has been excluded). However, home liability coverage does not reach out to cover damages you’ve caused in an auto accident. *You can purchase additional liability coverage with an Umbrella policy, which would provide additional home & auto liability coverage.
- Coverage F, Medical Payments to Others: Covers small injuries to guests which can be settled easily. This does not apply to you or residents of your home.
Okay, now that you understand the standard coverage types in a home insurance policy, let’s talk about optional coverage that you can purchase for your home in Temecula, Murrieta, Menifee or anywhere in California. Depending on the company you choose, you may have lots of options to choose from. Of course, they all come with an additional premium, but they may save you some money in the long run. Some examples of these optional coverages are: water back-up, personal injury, identity fraud expense, service line coverage, home systems coverage, and others. I’m happy to discuss your options, anytime.
Home insurance in some areas of Temecula and Murrieta may be more expensive than other areas in the same city. Even though they have the same types of coverage. That’s because of the location of the home and what surrounds it. It’s safe to say that a home in the center of Temecula or in the center of Murrieta, surrounded by other tract homes, will be less expensive than a home in the more rural areas of Temecula and Murrieta.
Rancho Cal Insurance Services is here to help you with your home insurance. We are located right between Temecula & Murrieta off of Winchester Rd. We also help our neighbors in Winchester, Menifee, San Jacinto, and Hemet find great home insurance policies for their homes. We enjoy helping our clients with their home insurance, especially those that are having a hard time right now finding home insurance for their homes in Murrieta, Temecula, Hemet, Winchester, and Menifee. If you need some help, give us a call. We are here to help you with insurance for your home, car, and business.