Let’s get you ready to move into your new home with these helpful moving tips! Moving is both exciting and stressful, but with some pre-planning and these great moving tips we would like to help you make it as stress free as possible. These valuable moving tips will apply whether you are moving to your first home or if you are downsizing to a smaller home, or even if you are moving to a new state. Keeping yourself organized as you begin the process of moving & packing is essential and these moving tips will help you accomplish that goal.
- Get Packing Supplies: You will need sturdy boxes of various sizes, bubble wrap, packing tape, and a permanent marker.
- Set up Mail Forwarding: Easily done online at usps.com
- Set up & Cancel Utilities & Services: Call the local utilities at your new address for your water, electric, gas, cable, internet and trash service. With some companies, you may be able to transfer your existing service to your new address.
- Notify Financial & Insurance Companies: Advise your bank, insurance agent, and your credit card companies of your new address.
- Insurance: Begin a new insurance policy for your new home. If you are staying in the same state, you’ll just need to update your address on your current auto policy. If you are moving to a new state, you will also need a new auto insurance policy.
- Children’s School: Contact your child’s school and ask them to transfer school records to the new school.
- Donate: You may not need to take everything that’s hiding in the back of your closets or stuff hanging out in the garage. If you don’t use, don’t need it, or forgot that you owned it, it’s time to let it go.
Packing up your belongings and sorting through all of your stuff takes a lot of time. Remember to give yourself a lot of time for this task and begin it early in the process. The moving tips outlined above will help you stay organized as you plan your move to your new home. From moving tips to insurance for your new home, Rancho Cal Insurance Services is here to help you.