Water damage in your home? You are not alone! Did you know that a staggering 1 in 50 homes will have a water damage claim each year. As a homeowner there are things you can do to protect yourself and your home from water damage. Here are a few prevention tips to help you avoid having this problem:
- Replace your rubber washing machine hoses with steel-braided hoses.
- Check and replace your dishwasher, refrigerator, sink, and toilet hoses periodically.
- Know where your main water valve is located! You’ll want to be able to shut this off quickly in an emergency.
- Monitor your water bill. A bigger than normal bill may mean that you’ve got a leak somewhere.
- Clean your gutters regularly. You want the water to be able to move through this system so that it stays away from your home’s foundation.
- Inspect your water heater annually for signs of leaks or corrosion. Old water heaters have an increased risk of leaking. Maybe it’s time for a new water heater this year? You may consider getting a tankless system.
If you do find yourself facing a water loss in your home, you’ll want to act quickly. Get the water turned off and move your belongings out of harms way. You have the right to choose a water mitigation company of your choice or use one that is recommended by your insurance company.