What should I do after a car accident? What happens next? There are so many questions after a car accident and we want to make the process easier for you. If you are ever involved in a car accident, we want to help you stay safe and know what to do after a car accident. Like most things a little bit of preparation beforehand will make things much easier for you in the event of a car accident.
Be Prepared Before the Car Accident
- Always have your license, vehicle registration, and auto insurance information with you.
- Have an emergency kit in your vehicle. Include items such as a first aid kit, blanket, flashlight, & road flares.
- Review your auto insurance policy at each renewal & make sure your auto insurance includes the coverage limits and options that you want.
At the Scene of the Car Accident
- If there are injuries, dial 911 immediately.
- If possible, move vehicles & all people to the shoulder and away from traffic.
- If appropriate, set out road flares in front of & behind the vehicles.
- File a report with the police when they arrive.
- Gather information from the other drivers involved including their insurance information. The police may be able to assist you with this.
- Take photos of the accident & include a photo of the other vehicle’s license plate number.
After the Car Accident
- File a claim with your insurance company. This does not have to be done at the scene of the accident. Wait until you are at a safe location and out of harms way to do this.
- Be prepared to give the accident details and information about the other drivers to the claim representative.
- Your insurance company will assign you a Claims Adjuster to help you navigate the claims process. They will usually follow up with you within 24-48 hours after you open the claim. They will be able to discuss the claim process with you as well as coverage information relating to your policy.
Everyone here at Rancho Cal Insurance Services hopes that you are never involved in a car accident. If you are, we want you to be prepared. Knowing what to do before, during, and after a car accident will help to ease the stress a car accident can trigger. Rancho Cal Insurance Services is here to help clients throughout the Temecula & Murrieta Valley area and state of California with auto, home, and business insurance.