Wildfires happen quickly and unexpectedly every year in California, and we want you to be prepared. Rancho Cal Insurance Services has compiled this list of wildfire safety tips and a list of resources to help you prepare and manage a wildfire emergency. Review the Wildfire Safety Tips with your family and prepare ahead of time for the possibility of a wildfire in your community. With a little advance planning you will be prepared to manage the stress of a wildfire event. We want to help you keep your family, pets, and home safe with this list of wildfire safety tips and resources.
Wildfire Safety Tips: Prepare Before the Emergency
- Create an emergency supply kit for your family; include important documents and medications.
- Prepare a pet emergency kit; include a leash, food, & medications.
- Create an emergency evacuation plan.
- Take photos and videos of your home to create a home inventory. This will be helpful if you need to file a home insurance claim.
- Keep your gutters clear of debris.
- Keep your property clear of debris & dead vegetation.
- Trim trees and branches away from your roof.
- Use metal mesh on attic vents to prevent embers from entering your home.
Wildfire Safety Tips: What to Do During a Wildfire Emergency
- Stay alert and be prepared for an evacuation order from local authorities.
- Pack up the car & be ready to leave.
- You may lose power, so take the car out of the garage. Back the car into your driveway so that when you leave it’s already pointed in the right direction.
- Close all windows and doors to your home.
- If time permits, leave a ladder propped up on the side of your home, and leave shovels, hoses and filled buckets of water outside for the firefighters.
- Your safety comes first, leave your home as soon as you feel it’s necessary; you don’t need to wait for an evacuation order.
Wildfire Safety Tips: Resources, Resources, Resources
Rancho Cal Insurance Services wants everyone to be prepared and to stay safe during the next wildfire event. A bit of preparedness and planning can make this possible for you and your family. These Wildfire Safety Tips and list of resources should make this a bit easier for you as you prepare your home for a wildfire event. We are here to help you with any questions that you have regarding your home insurance, auto insurance or business insurance. Conveniently located in Murrieta, we’re helping our friends and neighbors in Temecula, Menifee, Winchester, and throughout California everyday. We’re here to help you too.